Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Standard Firefighting Order #3: Base all actions on current and expected behavior of the fire.

Photo Courtesy of Mike Solheim: Beasley Fire 7/5/15 - 0441
The 2015 fire season had already been a extreme busy year for me that had taken me all over Eastern Washington. Having watched the drought monitor previous to the fire season I knew my district was going to be busy. Prior to taking on a Division Training assignment on the Carpenter Road fire I found myself filling critical overhead positions on fires through-out the Columbia Basin from June through July. Some of the most extreme fire behavior I witnessed throughout my career in 2015 made me appreciate the training and mentoring I received throughout my years as a firefighter. Fire acted in ways that only mother nature could suppress. Seeing active crown fire override slope in the early hours of the morning in a dense brush component alerted me to whats to come in the coming days and weeks.

On August 14, 2015 a report of fire was reported in the Huckleberry Mt. range south of Fruitland, WA within the tribal grounds of the Spokane Indian Reservation. I knew that fire indices have reached record levels, I expected  fire behavior to be extreme and after taking on a Division Supervisor Trainee roll, in the back of my head I knew it would be a challenge. But falling back to my training and developing a solid strategy and a deliberate risk assessment I knew we could safely gain the upper hand of this beast.


Photo Courtesy of Mike Solheim: Carpenter Road Fire
The challenge was the extreme fire behavior brought about by current drought conditions and a intermix of private property with the Wildland Urban Interface (WUI). Crown fire, spotting, rapid rates of spread, and high fire-line intensities  was expected every shift. Being aware of this, indirect strategies were implemented utilizing both ground and areal resources.
Photo Courtesy of Mike Solheim: Carpenter Road Fire










After a 21 day battle, mother nature showed her face providing 3/4 of a inch of rain taking the punch out of the dragon. Strategies and tactics were changed due to the increase in fuel moisture's and the moderation of fire behavior. This allowed for aggressive mop-up and containment of the fire and allowed for a much needed break for all resources. After it was said and done the 2015 fire season came to an end and I finally made it home.








No comments:

Post a Comment