Monday, January 11, 2016

The best job I've ever had

I did not grow up in a place that is normally threatened by wildfire so before I started working in wildland fire fighting I did not have much knowledge about it.  Before this job I spent my summers working on a farm so to me this is the best job I've ever had and it really helped me confidentially declare my major as forestry management.    For the past 3 summers I have worked on an engine for the Oregon Department of Forestry in Molalla.  I have gained a lot of experience in my first years, especially on my 18 day out of district assignment to the John Day area.  This picture is of the 36 pit fire.  Our engine was called to initial attack a spot fire on the opposite side of the river than the main fire that started a day beforehand.  Getting to the fire was hard enough as visibility was very low in the smoke and we had to drive through roads with falling rocks.  By the time we arrived it was several hundred acres and making runs uphill through the crown and there was nothing that we could do to contain it.
36 Pit spot fire on the  south side of the Clackamas River

No comments:

Post a Comment