Sunday, January 10, 2016

Fire near Pine Mountain



About 20 years ago my grandparents made the move to Sisters, Oregon. During one of the first summers after they moved here my family and I took a trip out to the Pine Mountain observatory to participate in one of their star gazing events. As we drove out there I remember seeing the landscape around us ablaze with fire. The road probably was not closed as the primary vegetative components of this area are grasses, sagebrush, bitter brush and juniper. While we all had a great time looking through telescopes that night what I remember the most is the glow from the fire below us. Looking back I can see how the landscape has changed since that time. While I do not remember which area in particular burned, I have noticed that over the years how the juniper have further encroached upon this area. While this, and other fires, may have provided conditions to assist the juniper encroachment, the change in fire frequency and intensity that comes with the establishment of vast swaths of juniper is likely to be one of the greatest contributing factors affecting junipers success.

No comments:

Post a Comment